Thursday, July 31, 2008

I Need Some Help

So about a month before we had Claire my mother-in-law, Julie, was so kind and gave us her king sized bed. I have always wanted a king bed, and we LOVE it. Honestly we cuddle more now than we ever did before. I think it's because I have the option of getting so far away if I want to. (I love you Shawn!)
The problem comes in where the bedding is concerned. We haven't gotten a king comforter yet because I haven't bothered making the bed for quite a while. I blame that on my cute baby. I have actually started making the bed again and I got the OK from Shawn to spend money and get a new comforter. But I don't know what to get! That is where you people come in. Here are some pictures of what our bedroom looks like:

The look we have had is pretty formal. I really like it but honestly want something a little more casual. I want to keep using these decorations, besides I did NOT get the OK to buy new ones. :)

I really love the colors in the painting above the bed.

These are the mirrors over our dresser. I like them too, but again the are kind of formal. I thinks this picture shows the walls at their truest color.

Oh hey! Where did that cute baby come from? She just recently discovered that she has toes!

So I need advice from all of you. What color of comforter should I go with? Patterned or solid? How can I make the room feel a little more casual while still using these decorations? What kind of pillows would be cool? I anxiously wait to hear for you all! You can be responsible for me blowing lots of cash!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem... and I have had this problem for over 2 years, so I am probably not the person to give advise. Your room is really pretty, I especially love the mirrors and the color and the artwork, oh and the sconces ..i guess I love it all. I feel like I am on rate my space on hgtv! Good Luck.

Bec said...

Okay, so this could be lame... but it could be cool. If you really wanted to play it all DOWN, you could maybe:

Paint the metalic frames. I know. But what if you painted over them to match the colors above your bed, like a cream/beige, muted green, and creamy red? Check out Heather Bailey's STUDIO pics... and view the turquoise mirror. She says that if something is super fancy or ornate, it has to be brightly colored (to match her style, that is). Maybe? What do you think?

Either way, I also love your room the way it is... but I understand the need for change. I'll keep thinking. Good luck.

Bec said...

When you come over tonight, remind me and I'll show you some ideas. I am making a "Mindy" folder. :)

Katie L. said...

I LOVE the mirrors! They look great, don't change them! I also love the picture...I wouldn't change anything, I would even leave the color. I would probably get a comforter that was more solid but still has some texture on it. Does that even make sense? I just got one from JcPenneys and it's super cute! How much fun, permission to spend...I wish Mat got that idea a little more than he already does! :)

katie said...

I think that Becca's suggestion about painting the frames is a good one. I also think that a solid bedspread with accent pillows to bring out the reddish color would look good. And that's about it.

bart said...

Personally, I think that lighter colors are usually more playful and less formal.

Robyn said...

Okay-here is your sister to mix things up. I think you should paint the room, get rid of the sconces and lighten the whole thing up. I'm thinking pale yellows, reds, and muted greens. Kind of a sophisticated country Pottery Barn look. (I'll help you paint-oh you know me I'll even pick out the paint)

Shawn said...

Robyn, you better be careful or you might get banned from the blog!

Andrea said...

Hey Mindy, so glad to be part of your blogging world. I would say that the mirrors are really what makes things most formal. If you switched them out for some, say, decoupaged frames with black & white or sepia toned pics of your girls/family, that would give you similar wall coverage, a boost of color if you don't repaint, and you can really coordinate that to any color scheme and pattern.

Plus, you are more than welcome to come on over to my workbench to make them. And I love that puckered bedspread you showed me last night. I was looking at my bed longingly with that image in my mind...