Today the girls came running into the house yelling "An egg! An egg! One of the chickens laid and egg!"...then they promptly dropped it on the floor. Sigh.
On that note: here is an update on all the ladies:
Delilah is our Easter Egger. That egg might have been from her. Delilah is quite a character. She come running whenever we com into the yard. Her biggest motivator is food. If she thinks you have a treat for her she is all over you. She is my kind of girl.
CeeCee is our Ameraucana. She was a surprise. We thought she was going to be a Barred Rock. I love her tufts of feathers on her cheeks, or her beard. She is a very pretty bird, and also quite mellow.
Peck is probably our odd duck. She has a birth defect that resulted in deformed feet. I'll have to take a picture some time. She does not like to be held and will actively run away from you if you try. She is definitely the most shy and stand-offish of our birds. She is sweet and quiet. She was the first bird to show an interest in roosting...on our 8-foot fence. Silly thing.
That egg probably came from Stretch. She is our Barred Rock. I think she is a couple of weeks older than the other birds and she has been nesting lately. I guess we will see with time. Stretch seems to think she is a dog. She spends lots of time on our back deck pecking at the glass door, like she wants to come in. She will run to us when we come in the yard and she loves to be held. She will jump up on my shoulder and hang out there when I am working in the yard. She is a super-fun bird. She is also the boss, at the top of the pecking order.
Hopefully tomorrow will bring a new egg...one that doesn't end up on the floor.
7 comments:
At our house kids and eggs don't mix, they scramble.
Yippee! Your time has paid off! Eggs!!
Oh, that's so sad! And so typical of life ;-).
P.S. Do chickens lay eggs in December?
mmmm....a floor omelet! On the upside, you have a beautiful new floor for your girls to drop eggs on. Your chickens are growing up, holy cow! They all turned out so fancy looking too.
ha! That is funny and sad at the same time. Poor girls. The children (not the chickens).
How exciting! When I came by your house the other day (make that "your AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL HOUSE"), I saw those chickens in the back yard. SHEESH! They've grown! How exciting to have your own fresh, organic eggs!!
Mindy, I stumbled onto your blog from Shanna's. Hope you are doing well. I texted you last week but you didn't reply. I want to see your after pics when your house is all done. Impressive! I'm jealous!!
Post a Comment