Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Garden Thoughts

So I came to a realization this summer: Yard work is not my thing. I don't really enjoy the heat of summer, (OK, I hate being hot in a serious way) so going out into it to dig, prune,weed, etc. is not something I enjoy. So this realization begs the question: why the hell would I want to size up and own a bigger piece of land?! I fear I am going to have to face this question someday. I have always had dreams of owning a full acre and having chickens, goats, and a huge garden. I'm starting to think that this might be an unrealistic dream. My .3 acre is really about all I can handle.I am not great at the gardening thing. There are only two things that I can consistently grow with success. So here are a few pictures of them.


My mom used to plant marigolds all the time when we were growing up. I kind of hated them. I thought they stunk. I still think they stink, but the fact is, they are easy to grow. So they are the flower I go back to year after year. They always grow and thrive. And actually I have become quite fond of them.



I love fresh tomatoes still warm from the garden. Again this is something that I can grow with relatively consistent success. We have 4 tomato plants this year (my neighbor has 32!) and all are doing well, even after one had a fairly serious run-in with the tiller.
The cherry tomatoes are starting to turn red and I can't wait to eat them. I love how they pop in your mouth.BTW- I didn't even notice there was a grasshopper in this picture until after I took it. Sneaky little guy!
That's all. How are all of your garden's doing this summer?
PS- I canned 51 pints of beets today. That may have a little to do with my pessimism toward gardens tonight. :)

7 comments:

katie said...

I have to echo your dislike of the heat. I really would like someone to explain to me why anyone would like summer? It's just too sweaty! Or at least it is here. There are no redeeming qualities. Give me autumn any day.

bladenfamily said...

With you totally. Hate yard work!! Your pictures are beautiful.

Wendy said...

Heat is relative to where you live and how hot it is. If you come a little further south, you can cook your food outside from about April to the beginning of October.

Yes...you can keep a goat on .3 acres. Make sure those marigolds are safe. If you are looking for a nanny goat to milk, the more power to you. We have chickens on our little plot. We are also zoned for it.

Yard work produces results though! It is a great time to meditate and to consider how keeping a yard is like raising beautiful children. It takes one day at a time and a lot of patience.

Missy W. said...

Mindy, I have two neighbors who have goats in their tiny central logan backyards - so can definitely do it. and please - tell me how to can beets! I have so many and I know not what to do with them!!!

Bec said...

Amen about the heat. I'm a sit-in-the-shade kinda gal. Or, you know, the AC-cooled-room. ;) Also, I think our dreams evolve with our experience. Really. And that isn't settling... it's getting to know yourself. So screw the huge plot of land! Do what makes you happy. Also (yikes- this is a long comment), I love the photos. The first one is my favorite... great color, great bokeh. And lastly, you absolutely could have a goat on a third acre! We had ducks (now THAT's stinky!) in our rinky dinky apartment yard growing up. And a trampoline. And I never once thought it was crowded! (Oh, the blissful perception of youth...) Okay- that's it. I'm done. :)

Love ya.

Anonymous said...

If you get over run with beets and want to sell some I would like to. I bought a few bunches at the farmers mkt. to pickle but would like to do more. My cherry tomatoes are almost gone. They were so yummy. My big ones are just getting started. I've had about 5 so far. Again, yummy.
Thanks Mindy

Anonymous said...

What in the world are you going to do with 51 pints of beets?