Monday, March 3, 2008

A snow death with skills















I went snowcaving with the scouts over the weekend. Somehow I'd managed to avoid that experience back when I was a scout - we winter camped in cabins with electricity. This was the real deal though. We started digging the caves for our young men's activity on Tuesday and then finished on Friday. Talk about work! We had to help the boys a lot too and didn't finish the caves till nearly 10 P.M. Then we lit a fire and started working on dinner, finally collapsing into bed about midnight. I was worried about being cold and brought two sleeping bags - one slid inside the other. No need to worry though - I was too hot most of the night - took off my hat, unzipped the bags etc. We woke up Saturday to a beautiful sunny day and so I showed the kiddies a few of the mad sled skills Kurt taught me!

9 comments:

bart said...

How many people were sleeping in that cave in the picture? It's a bit bigger than the ones we used to carve in the snow at the edge of the driveway. Come to think of it, those "caves" on the side of the driveway were the only ones I ever made or slept in.

Richelle said...

I always knew you had an inner cave man waiting to get out!

Katie L. said...

Fun...I think!?! I don't do snow! That is why I am glad that the Young Women do their ONE camp in the Summer!

Robyn said...

I would be so clauster phobic I would try to bust through the top while everyone else was sleeping! The sledding skills are very impressive.

Mindy said...

Robyn- I told Shawn the same thing. There is NO WAY you would catch me sleeping in one of those things. I would be screaming and clawing my way out in the middle of the night.

Shawn said...

You know, I thought I'd get a little claustrophobic too, but it wasn't bad. When I first laid down to sleep and looked up at the snow above me I thought about it and it freaked me out a bit. Then I rolled over and went to sleep. - Bart there were three adult leaders in the cave.

Jessica said...

I still don't see how scouts think sleeping in the snow is fun! I'll take a warm bed and leave that to the guys!!!

Robyn said...

Good job spelling clauster, cluster, coster phobic Shawn! I wish I could spell check my comments I'm not to bright in that area.

Bec said...

How did I miss this post??

Shawn, you are H core.