I would like to introduce you to my Mother's Day presents:

This is Cee Cee. She is a Barred Rock hen and will be black and white striped when she grows up.
This is Peck. She is a Australorp and will be black. She will probably lay brown eggs.
This is Stretch. She is a Rhode Island Red. Guess what color she will be? Syd has nicknamed her Mrs. Attitude and I would not be surprised if she ends up being the ring-leader of the bunch.
This is Delilah. She is the sweetest little thing. She is an Easter Egger and will lay blue or green eggs. She will sit on my hand and hang out. Very cute and sweet.
Shawn and I have been toying with the idea of getting chickens for quite a while now. I kind of backed off the idea because we will be remodeling a big portion of our kitchen/living room this summer and I felt bad making extra work for him. But he told me last week that he wanted to get me chickens and build me a coop for Mother's Day. How fantastic is he? So we went down to IFA and picked out some little sweeties. I can't say there was any method to choosing them other than I wanted them to be pretty when the got big, nice to my girls (non-agressive), and I loved the idea of lots of different colored eggs.
In the few days we have had them we have all fallen in love with them. We have spent lots of time holding them, checking on them, and just watching them roam around their little box. Bobbi (our cat) is bewildered by them. She doesn't know whether to ignore them or eat them. After the first day the girls said to me "Mom, thank you so much for getting us chickens for Mother's Day"
Ha, ha, I'm sure they will be thinking that when I make them clean up chicken poop this summer.
Shawn is building me an awesome hen house for my little ladies. It is going to be fantastic! But I have a dilemma: What color should I paint it? Barn-yard red with white trim or make it match the shed it is right next to: tan with brown trim. What to do. My dad suggested I just paint a big Chick-Fil-A logo on it.
This will be the nesting box. Chickens like to go into a little space away from the hustle of the coop. They will actually cackle for each other when they lay eggs. My girls will not start laying eggs for 4-6 months, but we are looking forward to watching them grow and develop into full grown chickens.
We will keep you all posted as to the going-ons in the hen house. For right now they seem to like to eat and sleep and poop. Kind of like all babies. Thank you Shawn for a awesome Mother's Day gift!Oh and just in case you think I forgot here are some pictures of my other babies who I love more than life:



7 comments:
What darling chickens!!! They're so, so cute! I want to come smooch them- except not really... But kinda. And MY GOSH! I know I see your girls all the time, but still- THEY'RE GETTING SO BIG!! Syd is bending her knees so she doesn't touch the ground! And wearing HEELS! Oh man. I'm not ready for this. (hehe) Love that pic of Shawn and the girls. What a lucky guy, to be surrounded by all these hot chicks. All eight of them! ;)
Cute chicks! What a fun Mother's Day gift. Ian loves chasing Nora's chickens--he will be so excited to come chase your lady hens. Happy Mother's Day!!!
Your man sure looks happy with all his girls! Love it! Best with the chickens.
Those chicks are an awesome present. Good idea, Shawn! Especially because that chicken coop/henhouse is no small project either. 4-H has a good chicken raising project if you wanted the older girls to do it and enter one into the fair later in the summer. You know those chickens are going to grow up perfect with all the love and attention they are getting- might not hurt to get a blue-ribbon out of the experience.
You and your chicks are adorable! That is such a fun mother's day present.
Chickens! And they'll be laying eggs just in time for us to come at Christmas.
I don't know what everybody is raving about, those chickens aren't that cute... But durn it those little girls are!
We miss you guys lots!
-Kurt and Bonnie
Post a Comment